Saturday, August 04, 2007

Pindar Remembered.


Pindar Remembered.

Who was that fellow Pindar?
Some Greek I think who wrote
A name that I remember
From some half heard classroom quote
When my mind had fled the schoolhouse
And was back in June once more
And the scurry of a field mouse
On the upper old barn floor
Had given us an awful scare
Like so many small alarms
That invaded those sweet moments rare
When we lay in each other’s arms.
Fourteen Junes each were all we’d known
And we knew more than we should
For we had touched and we had shown
Deep in the heart of the wood
Eager then as buds in Spring
Our bodies and our youthful hearts
As you guided my hand trembling
To those warm forbidden parts
Cold guilt and tender innocence
Clashed like great Cathedral bells
As touching lips brought heaven’s scents
And scurrying field mice brought hell's
That barn’s long gone and where are you?
That flaming urge is a well turned cinder
Yet I still find new things to do
I’ll read that fellow Pindar.

David Hazell.
Published in: The Spirit Within. Dogma publications. 2005
ISBN 1 84591 015 X

No comments: