Saturday, August 04, 2007

The God Of War.


I have seen the God of war
On the wind swept desert plain
Where the blood is burned to dust
And the cracked rocks scream in pain

I have seen Him in the lightning
Rolling thunder, cannon’s roar
I have seen Him in the pits
Of broken limbs and rotting gore

I have seen His scarry visage
And the cleft upon His brow
In the frown of every creature
Who would have another bow

I have heard Him in the growl
In the threat and in the chide
In the slander and the rumour
And the underhand aside

I have felt Him in the slither
Of the carrion maggots crawl
As the biting drilling worm eats
To the dark depths of the soul

I have smelled Him in the foundry
In the boiling metal run
As it slows to form the halter
And the bombcase and the gun

I abhor the God of war
Though I never can defy Him
For if I stand against Him
I am but standing by Him.

David Hazell

From: The God Of War. Mulberry Books. 1999
ISBN 1 900229 04 8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.